Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Running To The Beat

I know most serious running enthusiasts look down on those who jog with headphones on. If you go and watch the London Marathon you'll notice that the majority of the club and fast amateurs who finish in under 3.30 are entirely bereft of any musical encouragement, but once you get to the 4+hr lot they've almost all got an MP3 player with them. 


I'm not sure how the divide between musical and non musical runners came about, and I switch between camps depending on where I'm running, what I'm running for and who I'm running with. I also imagine distance might come into play over the next 6 months. I'm fine running a half marathon with just myself for company, but I imagine the 24th mile might be easier to complete with a little high tempo, high quality pop. For training I assume it will be essential to create the BEST PLAYLIST IN THE WORLD EVER, but for the actual race day the downside would be not hearing the crowds who line the way, so I'm not sure if an ipod would come with me on the day.


The only absolute in my shaky regime is that I cannot run on a machine without music. If I'm outside, the weather is behaving itself and I'm in a good mood then I'm often quite happy to set off with no soundtrack. It's fun take in the noise of the city as it wakes up. If I'm running in the evening however, music helps to shut out the tourist conversations and after work bitches you hear as you run alongside the hoardes outside Green Park station. 


This is a trusted running playlist that has served me well over the last year, but I'm always on the lookout for new inspiration. Most recently Robyn's Body Talk Pt 1. Fabulous for a run around the park. 






What are your running songs? Any suggestions appreciated...

No comments:

Post a Comment