Monday, February 21, 2011

Energy Gel Experiments


I've only just relented and started using energy gels. It's lovely to find out that they do actually work! Where I used to seriously flag around the 10 or 11 mile mark, I now take an energy gel and find by mile 12 I'm full of beans again. It's no longer the actual act of running that I find difficult, but keeping the energy in the tank. 

My first foray was accidental - Power Bar gels, given away with a triathlon last year that turned out to be made by Nestle. I try never to buy Nestle products, so even though I found a flavour I liked (green apple),  I won't be repeat buying. 

In Runner's Need I decided to scoop up a selection of other gels to try over the next few LSD runs to see what suits me best, because I'm a bit picky with fake flavourings. Cliff Shot Bloks got the thumbs up from my personal trainer, so I will be trying them next week, but on Sunday I tried the (recommended in the shop) Gu energy gels. I was told that many runners had found them favourable, and I'd have to agree. The have a slightly gloopy consistency that funnily enough is not unpleasant - if anything if kind of gives you something to work with, almost chew, not just a runny liquid to knock back. I tried the Jet Blackberry and Tri Berry - I think Tri Berry is the better of the two. See - these are the empty packets...no running and littering for me. 

Once I've got through these after another 3 or so runs I'll report back more fully. If you have any tips or recommendations, please let me know...

No comments:

Post a Comment