Sunday, February 27, 2011

Gade Valley Harriers London Marathon Training Run

This Sunday I got up at the unearthly time of 6.45, ate my energy filled breakfast of porridge, grated apple and seeds (okay, and a bit of golden syrup, so shoot me) and headed out to Hemel Hempstead. 


I'd read in a couple of magazines about the Gade Valley training runs - you don't have to register in advance, just turn up on the day, pay £5 and run with others. They're not timed, but they are marshalled. Back in early January I thought that there was no way I could ever run 17 miles without some help and support around. As my miles have steadily increased the Gade Valley training run became less about the distance and more about running somewhere different than my usual routes around Central London parks to stem the boredom of the long run. 


The early morning sun was streaming down as a handful of runners got off the train with me and filed down a path of squelchy mud towards the club house. As a city runner, little did I realised quite how much mud I would see in the coming hours. 


The course, pictured below, began with a staggered start to allow runners to get onto the towpath - a 3 mile dirt stretch next to the canal that was muddy and very wet - you had to leap around or navigate puddles and at times I had that distinct feeling the mud was going to suck my trainers right off my feet. It could have been a bit treacherous, but I think everyone decided to slow the pace and come out the other side without a twisted ankle or an embarrassing tumble into the canal. It was the longest 3 miles of my life, but I soon discovered I was to find myself even more out of my comfort zone. Once off the towpath and back on the road the incline began, at first pretty gentle, but it just kept on going for 2/3 of a mile, then you turned a corner and the hill in front of me made me want to weep. Some just walked it, I tried attacking it, but ended up with a 12 mm pace. All this and I'd only hit the 4 mile mark.


Thankfully the rest of the race was less eventful - stunning country scenery, woods, a few more hills, although none as evil as the first, and back to the towpath for the last 1,000 metres or so. What was great was that despite the distance and only about 500 max taking part, you were always running with people, I even had a lovely chat with a woman named Sue from 10 - 12 miles, a surefire way to make the time pass more quickly. 


Typically for any run in Britain, the last hour of saw the weather change from sunny and bright to rain that became heavier and the temperature dropped noticeably. I have never been so glad of a steaming hot cup of tea and piece of cake at the end, served in the clubhouse. 


So, that's it. 17 miles under my belt in 3:05, slow yes, but my longest distance yet, and most challenging I think I've ever done thanks to the mud and inclines. Only another nine to add to that to do a marathon...


Thank you Gade Valley Harriers for letting us non club runners share a great event. 



No comments:

Post a Comment